Curitiba, Parana, Brazil– 4/28/2018 – 10:50 AM
1. During the early morning of April 28th, another fascist attack took place against the people camped out in front of the Federal Police headquarters in Curitiba who are excising their freedom of expression and assembly. It was a grave attack against Brazilian democracy. The National Executive Committee of the Workers Party (PT) and the Lula Livre camp coordinators issued a note about the attack, which left two people injured, one in critical condition:
2. At 11 AM a meeting will take place in front of the Parana State Security Secretariat (Centro Civico de Curitiba), followed by a press conference, with the coordinators of the Democratic Vigil, representatives of the MST, CUT and PT, and the president of PT Paraná, Dr. Rosinha, who, as a medical doctor, visited the camp member who is hospitalized as a result of the shooting. The press conference will be broadcast live through our communications channels.
3. Senator Gleisi Hoffmann, the National President of PT, confirmed in a video that was published in our social networks, that the fascist attack is a “result of this process of persecution against President Lula, against the PT and against the Leftist social movements.” Gleisi is traveling to Chile today to meet with the Left Front and Michele Bachelet, and says she will take advantage of this meeting to make an international complaint about the attack.
4. On Friday night, April 27, in Brasilia, during the MID (International Dance Movement Festival), the Argentinian group Acto Blanco raised a #LulaLivre banner at the end of its presentation.
5. Several Congressmen and Senators are in Curitiba this weekend. Among them are Congressmen Enio Verri (PT-Parana) and Nilto Tatto (PT-São Paulo), who are already in the camp, Congressmen Waldenor Pereira (PT- Bahia) and Marcos Maia (PT-Rio Grande do Sul), who will arrive on Sunday, and PT’s senatorial leader Lindbergh Farias (PT-Rio de Janeiro), who is arriving later on today.
6. The cultural schedule at the camp for this Saturday, April 28, includes a cellphone photography workshop at 11 AM at the Casa da Democracia. At 3:30 PM there will be a panel discussion called “Free Democracy” with Brasil de Fato, Midia Ninja, Telesur and other collective communications organizations. At the same time, there will be a poetry recital and concert with songs of residence with the Curitiba band Skarrei. At 7 PM there will be a Lula Cinema event with an exhibition of the film “Linha de Montagem”, about the historic strikes in the ABC region of São Paulo, in the Casa da Democracia garage.
Bulletin 52 – People’s Committee for the Defense of Lula and Democracy
Curitiba, April 28 10:50 AM