Curitiba, Parana, Brazil – 4/20/2018 – 11 AM
- The prohibition of Nobel Prize laureate Adolfo Esquivel and theologian Leonardo Boff from visiting ex-President Lula continues to be a subject of debate within the #LulaLivre Vigil. For the men and women who have come from across the country to participate in the campaign for Freedom for Lula, the attitude of the judiciary is one more chapter in the persecution of Lula. They denounce the travesty of justice committed by the judiciary and the disrespect for human rights demonstrated by the authorities. The image of the renowned theologian sitting on a chair, under a hot sun, waiting to visit his old friend a few meters from the site of the Vigil provoked indignation in everyone who witnessed the scene
- Paulo Pimenta, Congressional Leader of the PT (Rio Grande do Sul), ex-Minister Aloisio Mercodante, Congressman Arlindo Chinagila (PT-São Paulo) and Emídio de Souza, National Finance Secretary of the PT, participating in the Good Morning yell to Lula this Friday morning (April 20). Pimenta is coordinating the external congressional commission which visited ex-President Lula on Tuesday.
- Congressmen Enio Verri (PT-Paraná) and Zeca Dirceu (PT-Parana) also visited the camp this morning.
- The camp organizers ask visitors today to bring candles, lanterns and cellphone lights to the Olga Benário corner for the 6:30 PM protest. They will be used to light up the Curitiban night at the Free Lula vigil with one more showing of light for Lula!
- The spiritual support from various entities of diverse religions has provided spontaneous emotional moments on the Olga Benário Democratic Corner in the camp. Capuchin Priest, Father Ederson Quieroz, from Patrocinio, Minas Gerais, led a small ceremony and a prayer circle with messages of force and resilience for Lula and the campers on this Friday. “We cannot accept what they are doing to our country. We are the children of the blessed, not of evil,” he said.
- Donations made to the Free Lula Vigil, organized in partnership between the PT, the social movements and the popular fronts, have exceeded R$500,000. To donate, visit the website: https://vigilialulalivre.pt.org.br
Bulletin 36 – People’s Committee for the Defense of Lula and Democracy
Curitiba – 4/20/2018 – 11 AM
Foto: Ricardo Stuckert