Foto: Ricardo Stuckert
Curitiba, Paraná,Brazil 4/18/2018 – 11 AM
- The activities at the #LulaLivre Democratic Vigil in Curitiba started off this morning with a good morning yell to the ex-President let by Miguel Rossetto, ex-Minister during the Lula and Dilma Rousseff governments.
- The Front for Democracy, Sovereignty and Rights will be launched shortly in Congress. You can accompany the event live through the tag #FrenteAmplaBrasil on the YouTube, Twitter and Facebook accounts of our communications mediums.
- Adolfo Pérez Esquivel, the Argentinian architect, sculptor and human rights activist, who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1980, is in Curitiba to make a visit and inspect the facilities in the Federal Police headquarters building where ex-President Lula is being held as a political prisoner. Esquivel is the main advocate for Lula’s candidacy for the Nobel Prize this year. He argues that Lula deserves the prize for lifting 30 million people out of extreme poverty. Lula’s pre-candidacy for the Swedish Academy’s Prize already has over 230,000 signatures from around the World and is supported by another Nobel Peace Prize winner, Mohamed El-Baradei, from Egypt.
- Representatives from the following union federations, CUT, Força Sindical, CTB, UGT and CSB, are at the #LulaLivre Democratic Vigil today to start preparations for a united May 1st protest for freedom for Lula. The union federations plan to mobilize between 30-50,000 members on May 1 in Curitiba and are negotiating with some of the most respected Brazilian musicians to play that day, including Chico Buarque and Chico Céasar.
- During a speech yesterday, April 17, at the University of California, Berkeley, in the United States, President Dilma Rousseff denounced Lula’s political imprisonment and warned that Brazil is becoming fertile ground for the “horrible animals” of Nazism and fascism. She said that Lula, despite being tried and convicted by the press, is succeeding in convincing the population that he is the victim of persecution, so much so that his name is growing more popular in the polls for this year’s presidential elections. The most important moments of the speech can be seen at: https://dilma.com.br/condenado-pela-midia-lula-tem-o-apoio-do-povo
Bulletin 32 – People’s Committee for the Defense of Lula and Democracy
Curitiba, 4/18/2018 – 11 AM