Curitiba, Paraná, Brazil- April 15, 2018, 9 AM
- The #LulaLivre camp still has not been officially notified of the R$500,000 (approximately $146,000 USD) daily fine imposed by the Parana Judiciary to impede the permanence of the social movements and activists camped out in front of the Federal Police building where ex-President Lula has been unjustly imprisoned. The PT President, Senator Gleisi Hoffmann (Parana), emphasized that legal measures are being taken and negotiations are underway to guarantee the democratic right to protest.
- “President Lula was imprisoned unjustly and in a flawed process full of errors. Lula is a political prisoner. He is still leading all polls for this year’s presidential elections. This is one more scandal in the shameful escalation of persecution against Lula,” said Gleisi Hoffmann. “The decision is clearly unconstitutional and arbitrary. The PT and the CUT labor union federation are taking all possible legal measures to guarantee the free right to protest,” said the lawyer and ex-Minister Eugênio Aragão, who will represent the PT and the social movements in the defense against the Parana Judiciary.
- On monday, Congressman Paulo Pimenta, leader of the PT in Congress, will pass the day in the camp. This Sunday, Renegado will visit the camp.
- Gabriel Fernando, Vato, the Curitiba municipal director of PT, announced that the tent set up to register new members of the PT is signing up an average of 50 new members per day, who have come from all across Brazil. “Some affiliate with the party because they are sympathetic with it and others are doing it because they are against the injustices and, mainly because of the class struggle that this affiliation represents. The opinions are unanimous. They say that they can’t take what is happening in Brazil anymore,” he said.
- A new poll from Datafolha released this morning, Sunday, April 15, shows that ex-President Lula, despite being a political prisoner, is still the most popular candidate for this year’s presidential elections. In the scenarios in which he appears as a candidate, he has roughly double the support of any other potential candidate.
- David Harvey, Professor of City University of New York, announced his solidarity with Lula. #LulaLivre#FreedomforLula
- The following activities are scheduled today at the #LulaLivre camp in Curitiba:
9 AM – Good morning yell for President Lula
9:30 AM – Mosaic, with Javier Guerrero
10 AM – Embroidery workshop, with Eunice Terres
2 PM – Concert with Estrela Leminiski and Teo Ruiz
2-3 PM – Writing and reading of letters for Lula, with Ana Caldas
3 PM – Woman’s assembly, with Gleisi Hoffman and Eleonora Menicucci
4 PM – Angola Capoeira presentation, with Luza
5 PM – Show with Horrorosas Despreziveis
6 PM – Ecumenical religious act
Bulletin 23 – People’s Committee in Defense of Lula and Democracy
Curitiba, Paraná, Brazil April 15, 2018, 9 AM