Curitiba, Paraná, Brazil. 4/12/2018- 3:00PM
1. The activities at the Democratic Vigil #LulaLivre camp in Curitiba continued at full speed. The day started with a “good morning” yell of well wishes for ex-president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva from the women in the camp.
2. Towards the end of the morning, the ex-president received a visit from family members for the first time since he was imprisoned at the Federal Police headquarters in Curitiba. In the group were three of the ex-president’s children, Fábio Luis Lula da Silva, Luis Claudio and Lurian and his grandson Thiago. They were accompanied by Lula’s defense attorney Cristiano Zanin Martins.
3. During the day, several cultural and political activities took place. A round of debates started at 10 AM, which started with a speech by legal scholar Luiz Moreira, ex-member of the National Justice Council (CNJ) and one of the harshest critics of the arbitrary acts committed by Judge Moro in Operation Car Wash. At noon, sociologist and legal scholar Jesse de Sousa, author of the book A Elite do Atraso, gave a speech. He spoke about the history of the parliamentary-judicial coup of 2016 and persecution of Lula.
4. At 2PM, congressmen Carlos Zarattini (PT-São Paulo), Henrique Fontana (PT-Rio Grande do Sul) and Enio Verri (PT-Parana) will participate in the Civic Vigil. Congressmen from PT and other political parties have visited the #LulaLivre camp to show solidarity for Lula and denounce the political imprisonment of the most popular president in the history of the Republic, to the World.
5. At 3 PM today, various cultural activities will begin, which will include a conversation between Chef Bel Coelho and the camp cooks, and a concert with Fabiano Whunter, and Rodolfo y Roseno. At 7PM there will be a political protest with participation from Senator Gleisi Hoffman (Paraná), the national president of the PT party.
6. Together with the popular fronts and the social movements, the Workers Party has created a unified platform to mobilize financial support for maintaining the Democratic Vigils #LulaLivre in Curitiba and Brasilia. Anyone can help in the resistance. The link for donations is: https://vigilialulalivre.pt.org.br/cli/#/ .
7. On Wednesday afternoon (April 11) the Senate Human Rights Commission approved a measure to require verification of the incarceration conditions for ex-president Lula and all other prisoners in the Federal Police headquarters building in Curitiba. Today the commission formalized a request, together with the Federal Police, to define a date and the number of Senators who will compose the committee. The request was filed by Senator Vanessa Grazziotin (PcdoB/Amazonas).
8. In Congress, on Tuesday the opposition parties requested to create an external commission to accompany the situation of ex-president Lula, who is confined to a cell in the Federal Police headquarters building in Curitiba. The group will be formed by 12 congressmen and will not incur costs to the House of Representatives. The idea is that each congressman will use his own expenses. The date of the visit has not been defined yet. The creation of the group still has to be authorized by Congressional President Rodrigo Maia (DEM-Rio de Janeiro). The creation of the commission was requested by leaders from the 5 opposition parties, PT, PSB, PDT, PcdoB and PSOL, after 9 governors where prevented from meeting Lula on Tuesday, April 10.
Bulletin 15 – People’s Committee in Defense of Lula and Democracy
_Curitiba, Paraná, Brazil. 4/12/2018- 3:00PM